Monday, December 15, 2008

Thankgiving Vacation

We were finally able to go see the places that were high on our list. A small three hour trip and we made it to Stonehenge. I wasn't sure if it would live up to years of expectations, but when we got there, it was amazing. No one know why stonehenge was built but whoever did it had some serious willpower. The largest rock is 45 tons and other rocks were shaped and placed on that, but the amazing part is how much labor it must have taken to move the rocks over 30 miles. Even the kids, who can be hard to impress, thought that Stonehenge was pretty amazing.

We then went to a place called Avebury. Considered by some to be better than Stonehenge because it has two stone circles and one of the circles surrounds the entire village. This place was funner for the kids because you can touch the rocks and get a better idea of true size. This was definitely hands on.
Finally, on the next day we drove to Bath. Bath is famous for the Roman Baths built there. The baths still function on the pipes placed by the Romans long ago. Water comes up through the springs, is diverted into the bath area, and drains out of a drainage tube into the nearby river. Their engineering is still functioning. No microchips required. There was a huge Christmas Market going on at the same time so we were able to see a lot of street performers and local crafts. Also noted to be in Bath is the Jane Austen museum, but no one really seems to mention that one. I can't understand why.






2 comments:

Shari said...

Love that last picture of your kids! I have the same exact pictures from when my family went there yearssss ago - I think I was about as tall as Nicholas but just a bit older :)

Marc said...

What a cool trip! I love the picture in front of the bath- it has such a neat quality to it. By the way we loved your Christmas card and were disappointed that we missed your call! - Chrissy